Thursday, June 3, 2010

Neat Post from a Fellow Weight Loss Doc

LOSE 100#. AVOID STOMACH SURGERY.
Posted 6/1/2010 2:33:00 PM by Dr John La Puma

One of the best ways to help people transform their lives and create their own food revolution is to describe how my extraordinary patients’ do it: this is #6 of 7.*
Kathi uses seat belt extenders on airplanes and airplane trays ride up on her stomach. Her car seat is back as far as it can go.
She owns no pants without elastic waists, except those that do not fit. Sometimes she stops breathing when she sleeps. Her sister died of diabetic ketoacidosis last year.
I recommended that Kathi see a bariatric surgeon for a gastric bypass. It does carry risk and means learning new eating habits, but it works very well.
She refused. She had taken every diet pill and intimidated every dietitian she had met. She rejected theories of genetic fatalism. She knew that I could help her.
So I agreed to try. I drew a plate. Three-quarters vegetables and one-quarter other foods—foods she chose. She would see me and her physician regularly.
We have continued to work at it. As Oprah has said, “I’ve been through lots of diet programs, and there’s nothing like getting up and getting going and going for a walk in the morning.”
Over 3 years she lost 120 pounds. And has kept off 60, after 5 years. Not perfect. But better.

No comments:

Post a Comment