Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Nice Tip to Reduce Cals in Pumpkin Pie

This year we discovered a great way to really reduce pie calories:

Cut circles of the pie crust and line the edge of the pan.

Mix your pumpkin or other pie filling using lighter ingredients like skim milk, splenda, egg whites, lighter syrup, etc. and pour into the crust.

Chill, cut and serve and you have a beautiful pie.

We cut all of our pies in 10.

When this pie is made with Splenda, calories go to 96 per slice and when it is made with sugar it is just over 120 calories. A regular piece of pumpkin pie is well over 200 per slice when made with regular ingredients and a full pie crust.

Recipe, tips and more pictures are found in Holiday Secrets. We call this the tulip method of making pie crust because it reminds us of a tulip.

Here is what we did with the leftover 1/2 of the prepared pie crust – we rolled it out thin and topped a deep dish raspberry apple pie – the end result was a strudel-like thin crust that everyone loved (we only put the crust on the top)

1 comment:

  1. Last July, my thyroid was tested and my doctor says that it was normal. I'm about to be retested in a couple of days (if it has decreased,he wants me to start medication) and I'm glad there are thyroid natural supplements .I feel my energy is back.

    ReplyDelete